Canggu is a small town located on the coast of Bali about a 40 car ride from the International Airport of Ngurah Rai. It is most known for its relaxed chill vibes and many surfers come here for a week or two.
If you are just casually passing by Bali or have a short stay I would highly recommend coming to this town and seeing it for yourself. It has so much to offer and personally I prefer it to a busy place like Seminyak. Keep in mind this place is getting a name for its self and more and more are putting it on the map.
There are so many cute cafes to stop and have a bite to eat or to relax out of the after noon sun. Many are set with an indoor outdoor feel and are hubs for online writers and editors. I would suggest going early in the morning to secure a cute spot or late in the afternoon as these places are little gems and can get quite busy, especially the more well known ones.
(image above) The Shady Shack.
Check out my post of my favourite places to eat in Canggu here.
When choosing a place to stay in Canggu I would highly recommend choosing close to the centre town or down a side street that is still accessible on foot. It is a great way to checkout the town more in depth and chat to the locals.
Places we stayed: - Waterborn Bali - Hostel - Is located in the Heart of Canggu town. Down a side street just opposite cafe organic. With a pool and onsite breakfast and casual staff would definitely go back.
- The Dawn Is located 5 mins walk from the centre intersection on Canggu. The rooms face onto the pool which so cute with native trees over hanging. Be sure to organise your own transport prior the team at the hotel can call a transfer however will be hesitant to call a taxi. (I would recommend downloading the blue bird taxi app prior and ordering one yourself)
Most people come here to chill out relax and eat, but there are a few things to keep you entertained whilst on holiday.
1. Go surfing for the day: There are a few places you can hire a surf board for under $10 or for the inexperienced a surf lesson first might help. Just note that Canggu is know to get pretty rough especially if tropical storm has been through so make sure to check the weather prior.
2. Get a massage! This is for sure a must do and it is a lot cheaper than in your home county I can guarantee. For 60min at a good priced place you will probably pay around $10 (100,000 IDR) for 1 hr to $15 (150, 000 IDR)for a 90 minute massage. Personally I recommend going for the Traditional Balinese massage or a relaxation massage.
3. Rent a bicycle or scooter: This is the best way to get around the area and explore. A perfect place to learn for first timers how to ride a scooter/moped. $2-7 day as of the quite sleepy town posed to a busy city. Be sure to ask for a helmet.
4. Beach day: Although the beaches in Canggu are black sand and waves it can be the perfect way to sit back and soak in the sunshine.
5.Yoga: Is a great way to stretch out your muscles and meet some new travel friends after class. would recommend a sunrise yoga session or and evening class to help you wind down. 6. Explore to surrounding rice paddies: with Canggu being a smaller town it has heaps of cute local rice paddies farms to wander though.
Quick notes for Canggu:
- Small Local town - 20 minutes north of Seminyak, near Kuta area - 55 mintures form Ngurah Rai International Airport - Make sure to pre book a airport transfer with your hotel/ accomodation as the airport is crazy
Check out what I packed for my 2 week trip to Bali below
xx KirstyCalire xx
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.